Increase of Burglaries in Summer Months
Brno, July 13 (BD) – A safe home equals carefree vacation. Stats show 20% increase in number of burglaries in summer months.
Are you worried about leaving your property behind, while going for vacation? South-Moravian Police Department has recently reported burglaries on Heinrichova street that occurred while the owners were on holidays. The thieves managed to steal gold jewelry worth over three hundred thousand crowns and a number of unspecified objects.
Thieves rob every year thousands of apartments and houses, causing damage about CZK 1.5 billion in the Czech Republic. The number of burglaries increases in summer months; in Prague, the stats show 20% increase. In 2013, police registered 1139 cases of burglary and another 352 cases of breaking into cabins and cottages in South-Moravian Region.
Due to the rising numbers of unfortunate events in the city, the Regional Police released a simple guide on how to ensure that your apartment will be safe during your holidays.
- Do not inform people about your departure and keep a low profile on social media regarding your vacation.
- Keep valuables and documents in a safe place, preferably in bank deposit box or in a strongbox firmly embedded in the wall.
- Ensure that all windows and doors are properly closed and locked.
- Do not pull the curtains or blinds.
- Store ladders and other tools that the thieves can use when breaking into your home out of reach (eg. the garage).
- Entrust the apartment key to a reliable neighbor or relative who will regularly check your apartment and collect mailbox.
- Try to create the illusion of someone being at home, using electronic switching that controls the lights and the TV.
- Make a list of valuable items and write down the serial numbers of devices. This information will help the police in the investigation and help with the procedure insurance settlement.
Spending some time on securing your home before departing will definitely guarantee your more carefree holidays.
Title Picture: Pixabay.com